Fall Fire Safety
Autumn is the favorite time of year for many people- the temperatures are cooler, the scenery is beautiful and colorful, and there are plenty of events and activities to keep us all busy. But, there are also some unique fire hazards, and it is to your advantage to plan to ensure your fall season is safe and fire-free.
Keep these tips in mind:
- Be careful where you put your fall decorations; many are highly flammable so don't place them near open flames or heat sources
- Don't block escape routes with decorations
- Teach children to stay away from open flames avoid billowing fabric when choosing Halloween costumes
- Try to use a flashlight or battery-operated candle in jack-o-lanterns
- Use extreme caution if using a real candle.
- Be aware of the dangers of an excess of carbon monoxide.
CO poisoning can occur from faulty furnaces or other heating appliances, portable generators, water heaters, clothes dryers, or idling cars left in enclosed spaces. Be sure that you have fuel-burning appliances inspected yearly, that your fireplace and fuel-burning equipment is properly vented, and only use BBQ grills outside.
Change Time Check Batteries
Smoke detectors play a vital role in saving lives and can help reduce fire damage to your home by reducing the reaction time of the fire department. It is best practice to check the batteries in your smoke alarms when we set our clocks back for Daylight Savings.
The National Fire Protection Association recommends smoke alarms be installed in every bedroom, outside all sleeping quarters, and on every house level. Business owners should consult the local Fire Marshall to meet specific building fire codes and smoke detector requirements.
Smoke alarms work best when paired with a fire escape plan. A plan allows your family, employees, or client to escape quickly and safely in an emergency.
Review the following tips regarding smoke detector installation and maintenance.
-Install smoke alarms on every level of the home including the basement.
- Smoke alarms should be installed away from the kitchen to prevent false alarms. Generally, they should be at least 10 feet from a cooking appliance.
-Test smoke alarms at least once a month using a test button.
-Replace batteries in all smoke alarms at least once a year. If an alarm "chirps" the battery is low and should be replaced immediately.
-Replace all smoke alarms when they are ten years old.
Water Damage is not a DIY Project
Despite the magazines, television shows, and internet articles that may have you thinking otherwise, water damage restoration is a job that should only be performed by certified professionals.
SERVPRO of Rolla technicians not only have the know-how to get the job done right, but they also have the specialized tools needed to thoroughly dry your home, preventing further damage and even mold. Additional benefits of hiring a professional water damage restoration company:
Health Hazards: Depending on the source of the water damage, safety can become a concern. There are three varying degrees of water damage, ranging from clean water to black water, each more hazardous than the next. Black water, the most dangerous of the three, is water that has come into contact with fecal matter, a haven for harmful bacteria and disease-causing pathogens.
Hidden Damage: Water damage is not always obvious. Sometimes it is found inside walls and under flooring. If you attempt a DIY restoration and fail to diagnose hidden damage, the resulting issues could be extreme…and expensive.
Peace of Mind: Hiring a professional restoration company gives you peace of mind knowing you have done everything in your power to rectify the situation.
3 Things That Must Go After a Fire
After a fire, there are some items you may be able to salvage and restore. However, there are other items that you should throw away. If you’re not sure what is worth keeping and what you should get rid of, check out these three suggestions:
1. Makeup. After spending hundreds of dollars on the best foundations, concealers, and eyeshadow palettes, no one wants to trash some of their most valuable makeup. Unfortunately, the makeup you’d normally wear may no longer be in such good condition due to the high flame heat. Some of these products may have melted and are no longer usable.
2. Medication. If your medicine cabinet was slightly destroyed by the fire and smoke in the home, throw away the medication and talk to your physician about getting refills. Most physicians understand situations like this because it’s not safe to take medication that has been exposed to such heat in the first place.
3. Food. If food smells like smoke and soot is on it, toss it in the trash. You may not like wasting food you’ve purchased, but it’s simply not safe to eat any contaminated food due to the chemicals commonly used to put out fires. You never know if those chemicals are on certain products, such as your bread, crackers, and even your box of cereal, so don’t take any risks.
Tips on Hiring the Right Restoration Company After a Devastating Loss
Fires can be incredibly destructive. Still, people underestimate what water and flame retardants to extinguish the blaze can do. These elements require a different approach to fire and smoke restoration and cleanup.
Because of the critical role a fire restoration company plays in ensuring your home or business recovers, it’s vital to find the right one. Knowing what to look for can make the choice easier in an already stressful time.
Here are some of the primary elements to look for when choosing a fire damage restoration company:
Certification is one of the essential factors to consider when choosing a fire restoration company. Make sure they have all the necessary state and local certifications to legally allow them to provide restoration services and that they are valid.
Look for an IICRC Certification in particular, but there may be additional certifications for other services provided by the same company. Examples of these services include commercial and structural drying and mold remediation.
Besides having the proper certification, the company's employees should also be fully licensed and well-trained fire-damage experts, able to handle a wide range of scenarios.
While expertise is needed, hands-on experience is also very important. Every case of fire damage needs care since incorrect assumptions early on can prolong or derail the restoration process. Experienced professionals like the professionals at SERVPRO, such misconceptions are less likely to happen.
Make sure that the fire restoration company you choose has more than enough experience and has handled its fair share of restoration projects.
You can get first-hand information from the company's reviews regarding their experiences working with each particular fire restoration company. You can also ask for recommendations from other sources, such as your insurance agent or adjuster.
Rather than fixating on a single negative or positive review, look for a pattern. Even the best companies have a few outliers in their feedback profiles.
Different fire restoration companies have different areas they specialize in. Every belonging to be restored is made of different materials and textiles so the company should handle and treat them accordingly. Determine your priorities, and ask the company about their strengths of restoring similar items.
Seconds can make the difference between being able to restore an item and having to replace it. Some items are sentimental and really can’t be duplicated or repurchased. Choose a company that offers quick response times. They should also provide sound advice on the actions to take when salvaging possessions from a fire. SERVPRO thoroughly documents non-salvageable items.
A good fire restoration company should provide an in-depth, estimated completion date and a clear and defined schedule of the steps their team will take during the recovery process.
Some companies offer storage facilities. If they do, find out more information about those facilities such as storage space and other conditions like security and temperature control. Likewise, inquire whether the company provides packing services and how accurate they are at keeping records. This is something SERVPRO spends time doing right the first time to avoid any issues for our customers later on!
Most fire restoration companies will provide a free initial consultation regarding the work. While these costs typically vary based on the extent of damage, having an estimate allows you to pick the option that falls closer to the amount you are willing to spend.
With these few factors and considerations, you should be able to pick a fire restoration company that can meet your expectations. SERVPRO of Rolla is the industry leader.
Our services include mold removal, commercial cleaning services, building restoration services, and more to ensure you can get your home or business back to normal with a single phone call.
SERVPRO of Rolla should be your first choice for residential or commercial restoration needs. Our team of professionals is trained to assess the damage and potential threats, extract and contain the affected area, dry, and restore your property to preloss condition.
Do You Need Help Completing Your Next Construction Project?
SERVPRO of Rolla can help with all of your post construction needs and make your finished product look the best that it can be. Let's give you some reasons to use SERVPRO of Rolla;
- Post Construction Cleaning-Once the floors are down and the drywall is up, it is time to remove the dust, dirt and debris in order to lay carpet, paint and decorate. We offer the cleaning service to prepare your building for interior design.
- Dehumidification and Drying-During construction, a building can often trap moisture. Excessive moisture could result in mold growth. If you think one of your projects may have moisture, rely on our professionals to provide the help you need in eliminating moisture and preventing the potential for mold growth.
- Final Cleaning-You will want your facility to look its best when the doors are scheduled to open. We can provide a final detail clean to give the building that extra shine that will surely impress.
Please call us today to discuss your after construction needs. (573)368-5555
Fire Cleanup Professionals
The first 48 hours after your home or business has had a fire can make the difference between restoring versus replacing your property and personal belongings. SERVPRO of Rolla has the professionals that can help prevent fire damage from creating long-term problems. SERVPRO of Rolla will provide timely response with mitigation services ranging from fire, smoke and soot removal, to contents claim inventory and document restoration. These services help ensure your property, belongings and memories are restored to preloss condition when possible.
The professionals at SERVPRO of Rolla are available 24-hours a day, 365 days a year to help you regain control quickly.
Call SERVPRO of Rolla for your go-to company for fire restoration in Rolla and all surrounding areas.
How Much Foot Traffic Does Your Business Have?
Are customers constantly coming in and out of your doors? Does weather affect the condition of your floors? Lost of businesses have commercial carpet that gets trampled on every day...and sometimes, you can tell. banks, restaurants, and retail stores are easy victims of heavy and dirty foot traffic. As a result, the carpets have a visible path that could make a customer cringe. While seeing customers so frequently is great for business, it is not to great for your carpets.
Commercial Carpet Cleaning
SERVPRO of Rolla offers commercial carpet cleaning. We have specialized chemicals to help lighten those heavy traffic lanes to help you put your best foot forward. We also have various spotting agents to help lighten and remove various stains that may have popped up.
Call us today at (573)368-5555 to get a estimate for your commercial carpet cleaning.
Who Does Your After Construction Cleaning?
With all of the fast-paced commercial building construction and remodeling going on who has time to do your after-construction cleaning? SERVPRO of Rolla is here to ensure your finished building projects always look their best.
Let's start at the beginning.
During construction, a building can often trap moisture. excessive moisture could result in mold growth. If you think that your project may have a potential for moisture, rely on our experts at SERVPRO of Rolla to provide you with the tools that you need to eliminate that humidity in the air by placing dehumidification to stabilize your environment and preventing the potential for mold growth.
Once the floors are down and the drywall is up, it is time to remove the dust, dirt and construction debris from the structure in order to lay carpet, paint and decorate. Our team at SERVPRO of Rolla is here to ensure that your project is ready for interior design. This step in the process is referred to as post construction cleaning.
After all designs are completed along with fresh paint and flooring, final cleaning will make your project complete. You will want your facility to look its best when the doors are scheduled to open. SERVPRO of Rolla can provide a final detail clean to give the building that extra shine that will surely impress your customers.
Let the professionals at SERVPRO of Rolla help to ensure your post construction needs are handled in a timely manner so that you can open or reopen your business on time and as quickly as possible.
Call us today (573)368-5555
Home Cooking Safety Tips
What should you know about home cooking safety? Did you know that many kitchen fires were caused by unattended cooking? With the hustle and bustle of life today it is easy to get distracted by situations that grab your attention away from cooking. Let SERVPRO of Rolla help with some safety tips.
Cooking safety tips
- Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, boiling, or broiling food.
- If you are simmering, baking, or roasting food, check it regularly, remain in the kitchen and use a timer to remind yourself that you are cooking.
- Keep anything that can catch fire-oven mitt, wooden utensils, food packaging, and towels away from your stovetop.
- Be on alert! If you are sleepy or too tired to cook, do not cook!
If you have a cooking fire
- Just get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire.
- Call 9-1-1 after you leave.
- If you try to fight the fire, be sure others are getting out and you have a clear way out.
- Keep a lid nearby when you are cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
- For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
- Even if you think that you have put the fire out, call your local fire department for verification.
Hopefully some of these tips will help you to prevent and stay safe while home cooking
After a fire always remember SERPVRO of Rolla is here 24/7 for all of your after-fire needs